Saturday, November 20, 2010

Nicole & Bobby Peters



Grandma and Grandpa Gibb are both absolutely wonderful people. Since me and Bobby were married, we've loved being able to go to the temple together, knowing it’ll always be followed by a visit to G&G’s. Grandma always manages to magically produce a full-fledged meal for us, no matter the time of day, the inconvenience, the short notice, or our lack of hunger. What’s most baffling is that Grandma unfailingly apologizes for the meals’ "plainness", somehow thinking there was something better in the world to eat than Grandpa's homegrown vegetables and her home cooking.

A memory that I have with Grandma, is not so much a memory of a certain event or activity, because I don’t actually remember the exact circumstances, but I remember what I felt, and it was love and tenderness. Something maybe more recent and tangible is the quilt I received from Grandma. This quilt means a lot to me because I know of the endless hours and sacrifice that goes into her world class quilts. This quilt is also so sentimental because it reminds me of the loving consideration Grandma possesses. I had seen the quilt in its early, starting stages and admired it, and then forgot about it. The next time I saw it was almost a year later, when Grandma gave it to me as a wedding gift, knowing that I had said in a passing comment that I liked the quilt.

A memory I have about Grandpa, besides his quick, quiet wit, is his constant, loyal, loving companionship to Grandma. He’s always by her side, or close behind. It does not take words for Grandpa to demonstrate his humility and worthy Priesthood-bearing. I had an experience when I was younger, when I got sick at the farm. I got a Priesthood blessing from Grandpa, as my dad was away, and my brothers were not old enough. Though, as a young child, we did not necessarily talk or ‘hang out’ much, by the end of that blessing, I somehow knew a lot more about Grandpa than I could have gotten to know under any other circumstance. I can still remember, and feel to an extent, the power of the Priesthood, and the worthiness of the one holding it. I felt a fatherly comfort and security from Grandpa, that, at that time, I thought I could only get from my own dad. I distinctly remember him saying that I would be healed, and afterward, as a young child, feeling and recognizing a hope and faith that I would.

Grandma and Grandpa Gibb are both so Christ-like. Selfless in their endless service. So welcoming, loving and kind; having their nonjudgmental doors open to anyone. Hard, consistent and enduring in their work - never once have I heard, seen or sensed complaint about the work they willingly take on. It’s only as I get older do I realize, hear about, and appreciate the stories and memories of their long life of dedication, hard work, and commitment to the Lord. They are great examples to Bobby and I. If we were to become even half of who they are today, we will have done very well for ourselves.

We love you both, Grandma and Grandpa. Thank you for all your service and for your examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment