Monday, November 1, 2010

Joe and Maren Burnham

I believe that I can say with confidence, and even to this day, the event that I look forward to every year is our annual trek down to southern Alberta. I remember as a kid that I would wait with anticipation for school to end because that meant that the farm was closer. The car ride was always too long. The longest stretch seemed to come after we had turned off at Fort McLeod. I think that the thing that I liked most about the farm was the freedom that we were able to enjoy as cousins, riding (and usually wrecking) the quads, exploring the river bottom, jumping off hay bails, tubing down the river, and trips to the Trading Post for penny candies....and there's one thing that you can't beat, Grandma's pancakes with chokecherry syrup. THE BEST!!! I found it amazing that Grandma worked the eternal breakfast shift that started at 5 in the morning, finishing at 1130 when the stragglers woke up (popcorn and peach juice was always a perfect way to finish the day too). Grandma and Grandpa were always steady and seemed unfazed by the mayhem that came every year. I remember at a young age Grandpa always working the farm with Larry and then focussing on the garden. I learned to appreciate his work ethic. I loved watching Grandma and my mom and the aunties playing phase 10, scrabble, or shoot the moon and felt honored when I finally became a man and was permitted to play. Grandma has always been so accommodating. Most of all, I've always been amazed by the way they've shown their love for all of us and the Lord by the way they've lived and served and loved. Thank you Grandma and Grandpa for the generosity you've shown all of us through your examples and by providing the best memories a kid could ever have!  I love you.
Joe
Maren and Joe (Sept 2010)
Noah James (2 years old), Eleanor (Ellie) Reese (7.5 months old), Jackson (Jax) Scott (3.5 years old)

One thing that you will notice about the boys is that they are good little buddies. It is so great having them so close in age (17 months apart). And the one thing you will quickly learn about Ellie is that she is the happiest baby ever. Always smiling and laughing. It helps having funny brothers to play with her and make her laugh.


Dear Grandma and Grandpa,
One thing I can say is that the moment I married into this family I have always felt entirely welcome. In some ways I feel more comfortable on the farm with you and all the cousins than any where else, and that's a good feeling to have. I look forward to it every year. I know I didn't enjoy the farm as a young girl like everyone else, but I want you to know that I would never choose anywhere else to go each Summer. I never grew up with grandparents, so I'd like to think they would be a lot like you. (I would hope so anyway!) Loving, welcoming, selfless, hard working yet relaxed, and most important, funny! I see those characteristics in each of you and hope that one day I can be like that. I'd be happy settling for half of that!
I mostly just want to say thank you for living the lives you have. I have to tell you how much Colette as a Mother-in-law means to me (and you raised her, so I have to give credit to you!). I feel like I can turn to Colette for anything. I hear other married couples talk about their in-laws as though they don't get along or don't like each other, and it is SO the opposite! I feel so much apart of this family and never once have I felt uncomfortable in their home! She has the warmest heart, she is so hard working, always doing good, never thinking about herself, basically, she is full of love. I can only imagine she got some of her character-traits from her parents! So thank you for raising such a wonderful daughter that gives me reason to try to be a better person each day. And thank you for your example to me of what I would like my family to be like! I love you,
Maren

No comments:

Post a Comment