Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tracie Holland

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to grow up next door to Grandma and Grandpa.  I have many memories of them.  When I try and narrow down what my favorite memories would be, I find that it is the simple things that I got to see everyday like watching Grandpa work in his garden and watching Grandma take care of all her beautiful flowers that are my favorite. They are both such hard workers.  I remember watching them in awe because it just seemed like they never stopped. 

 I love the memory of going over to visit and Grandma always having something baking or cooking.  My favorites were her brown bread with honey, raisin cookies, her fresh from the garden vegetable soup, and buns.  She always seemed to have a supply of peanuts on hand too that she kept in her freezer which she was always willing to share.

One of my youngest memories of Grandma is going into Cardston with her to visit Granny Beazer.  I don't remember much about it, just that I was so excited that she would bring me along and that it could be just me and her.  I also remember lots of trips out to the Hutterite colonies with her.  She was always visiting people and has a way to make everyone feel special, comfortable, and loved.  She was always bringing food to people or inviting others over for meals.  You never knew who would be sitting around Grandma and Grandpa's table at Sunday dinner with us!  The many examples of service I have seen will always stay with me and make me want to be a better person and serve others more.

I remember one time when I was staying at Grandma and Grandpa's house we were sitting around the table and Grandma was teaching me how to spell.  She taught me that you spell Grandma and Grandpa like this-Grama and Grampa.  I was in shock when a few years later I found that it wasn't actually right.  Every time I write their names I think of this funny memory.  I love it when Grandma signs her name like this. 

I loved Sunday meals over at their house.  We would pull out the blue table, get all the leaves out, her nice plates and salad bowls.  I loved sitting around and visiting after.  Usually when dinner was over Grandma would ask me to play the piano for her.  I would go and play and everyone else would have to clean.  When the cleaning was done Grandma and Grandpa would come sit on their blue couch and listen.  She usually had a request or two of a song that she wanted us kids to sing before we left. If we were lucky we got to sing in her karaoke machine.  Lots of times my family would leave to go home before I was done playing and I loved this because it gave me a chance to sit and visit with Grandma and Grandpa all by myself. 

There was another time when I was staying over at their house and Grandpa was playing with this yo-yo and was doing all sorts of tricks with it for us.  I think he found the more he did his silly tricks the harder that we would laugh. I love Grandpa's sense of humor.   I also remember going on a Utah road trip with them.  I was driving and I must of been making Grandpa a little nervous because he firmly told me that his vehicle doesn't go over 100km/hr.  I was nervous the rest of the time I was driving because I kept feeling his eyes on the speedometer.  Because I loved and respected him I made sure to do as he asked.  It was fun to get to travel and visit with them.  I love all of Grandpa's little experiments with his gardening and other things.  I remember once he was so excited to show us that he discovered freezing things like gravy in ice cube trays so that you have the perfect individual portion. 

 A few other memeories are going flower picking with Grandma in the coolies.  She loves picking flowers and would teach us all the names of all the different flowers.  We would walk up to the corner and pick wild roses in the ditch which I always thought smelt so good. When we got back we would pick out the perfect vase out of her many vases to put the flowers in.  I loved going over on Saturdays to visit.  Grandma would get us busy washing windows with newspaper or dusting. Some how it didn't ever seem like work though.   I loved looking at all the little trinkets that she had in her house.  I remember when they got their little camper and how fun it was to help Grandma get it all fixed up.  I remember her singing "ride, ride" to me which is a song that I now sing to my kids.

We always looked forward to all the cousins coming to visit.  I'm sure we drove Grandma crazy asking her everyday when everyone was coming and how long they were planning to stay.  Some of my very favorite memories are of all the cousins being at the farm for the 1st of July.  There were many games of becon and jailbreak.  Lots of laughs, visiting, and late nights.  Lots of tubing and weiner roasts.  Lots of exploring in the trees and playing in the attic and walking to the cool car. Plenty of popcorn and peach juice.  Grandma was always so patient when we wanted to do plays for her, or have a bake sale.

Grandma and Grandpa, thank you so much for the wonderful examples that you have always been to me.  When I think of examples of hard work, service, unconditional love, and charity, I think of you guys.  You have always been so faithful.  You have always attended the temple.  You have always treated each other and others with respect.  I have never heard you talk badly about anyone.  You have always made others feel loved.  I feel so blessed to have you as Grandparents.  I love you guys!

Love Tracie

No comments:

Post a Comment