Monday, November 22, 2010

Scott and Erin Wolff


I have fond memories of visiting the farm over the summer as a child -- the deep corner, the swing set, playing on the hay bails, sneaking Scott Feller's beef jerky from the fridge, the party-line telephone system, the view of Chief Mountain from the kitchen sink and large family dinners on a Sunday afternoon to name only a few. 

Sometimes I would have breakfast or lunch with grandpa when he came in from working on the farm.  Sometimes grandma would tell Kevin and me a bedtime story -- something about a mother hen who left her chicks home alone while she went off to work for the day and a fox (or wolf, I don't remember which) would come devour the chicks one by one, only to be rescued later by the mother hen's crafty use of a sewing needle and some heavy stones. I still wonder why the mother hen would leave all her chicks at home alone for the day, and how it was that the chicks were still alive after having been devoured by the wolf, or why grandma would tell us a story of a wolf devouring chicks as a bedtime story? But I digress...

One summer grandma Gibb and I planted a small evergreen tree on the East side of the farmhouse.  I looked forward each summer to see the growth of the tree and can still recall quite vividly even now the day we planted it together.  It seems to me that it was moved at least once and was eventually removed entirely.  Even as a child I understood that with demands of life of the farm and having so many grandchildren to attend to, having some one-on-one time with grandma was very special.

I am glad to have had a brief time on the farm each summer to re-enforce my teaching about work and play and family. As an adult I have come to appreciate grandpa's persistence in working in the garden year after year. Grandma and grandpa Gibb are faithful, honest and diligent people who have consistently been examples of Christian principles and righteousness.

I have enjoyed my association with the entire Lawrence and Hazel Gibb family and am honoured to be counted among them.

Scott, Erin, Grace, Matthew, Hannah, Josh

Grace Erin Wolff
  8 years old

Matthew Richard Wolff
7 years old

Hannah Marjorie Wolff
6 years old

Joshua Robert Wolff
1 year old













No comments:

Post a Comment