Saturday, November 20, 2010

Allred family

I have so many memories of Grandma and Grandpa and the wonderful times with them on the farm. We all do. Grandma and Grandpa, you are two of the most wonderful people I have ever met. You have created a wonderful family. Whenever I think of our family I think of love and laughter. You made a place in the world where we love to be. I only hope that someday, my kids and grandkids will say the same. You have taught us all how to love, how to work, how to play.
I remember so many weekend trips to the farm, so many summers. Here are a few that stand out.
One thing that I loved about going to see Grandma and Grandpa was arriving. I remember when we would get there at night and Grandma would have a fresh loaf of bread, hot from the oven, and some chokecherry syrup to dip it in. (A friend gave me a jar that she canned this year, and it just wasn't the same.)
I loved family dinners, when we would have to line up the tables in the living room. But for some reason, it's always the breakfasts that stand out to me. I loved how before we ate, we would always kneel at our chair for morning prayer.
I have a vivid memory of one Christmas morning. I opened a gift, it was a littlest petshop (the old ones, not the new ones), two turtles in a tank, that was marked from Grandma and Grandpa. I think that my Mom had picked it out because Grandma seemed shocked when I showed her and thanked her for it. But my Mom still has those turtles and whenever my kids play with them now, I think of that Christmas.
I think that some of my most favorite memories have been since I've become an adult.
When I was still in high school, Grandma took me over to Aunt Ruby's house and she gave me some tips for painting with water colors. Aunt Ruby was recovering from her stroke and so Grandma did some painting too. I didn't know until then how talented she really was. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the rocks, and loved painting some with Grandma, but I learned more about her that day. 
We had a traditional Gibb honeymoon. We stayed in Hillspring! We stayed at 'the meadows' before Mom and Dad were living there. The plan was to be spending time in Waterton and for me to show Timothy around my 'home' before I had to leave the country. However, it rained all week. I think I might be the only person to say that I visited my grandparents on my honeymoon. I don't regret it for an instant. It was then that I think I first had one of Grandpa's famous tomato, onion and cheese sandwiches. It was so good.
I loved being able to spend some time with Grandma and Grandpa while Mom and Dad were on their mission. We would go to Cardston to attend the temple and stay with them, or they would watch the girls. It meant so much to me that my kids got to make cookies with them, or work in the garden. They got to do things with Grandma and Grandpa that I used to do, and they loved it like I did. I have really enjoyed being able to talk with Grandma and Grandpa. To ask them questions. They are remarkable people.
One memory that still chokes me up was from last year. We went to the temple the weekend of my birthday. I was pregnant with Eli, my parents were gone and the holidays were approaching, so I was a little emotional. We got to Grandma and Grandpa's just in time for dinner. We started to set the table and I went to get the plates. Grandma started to put a leaf in the table, get a table cloth and her special plates. She had made my favorite meal and invited whatever family was close for a little surprise party (I will give some credit to Timothy, he had asked her help him put something together). I burst into tears.
Grandma and Grandpa have always been the sweetest, most loving people. I thank you for all you have done for me and this family. We love you!

Eli Nov. 2010

Emma, Oct. 2010 (Halloween)

Kaylee, Oct. 2010 

Eli, Kaylee, Emma, Oct 2010

Allred Family, Aug. 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment